Writing Tutoring and Support
Are you concerned about the lack of personalized writing support your child had during remote learning?
I am available to provide one-on-one assistance to help your high schooler or college student continue to grow as a writer.
My focus is on helping students feel comfortable with writing and with interacting with texts.
The importance for students to feel cared for and attended to was always great but increased during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains high.
My goal is to keep students engaged and growing as writers and readers. I want them to have positive associations with the written word.
Tutoring with me may include:
- Planning for writing, generating writing and revising writing
- Reviewing writing and reading assignments and planning for completion
- Supporting readers with texts and responding to texts in writing
- Development of vocabulary in context
- Development of grammar skills in context
- Support with the student’s self-guided standardized test prep, grammar work or vocabulary study
- Support with the development of college application essays
On request, I can create guided reading support and vocabulary activities derived from texts for students who need scaffolding.
I taught for 8 years at the college level and in Alexandria City Public Schools prior to starting a family. Since then, I’ve tutored for 12+ years in Northern Virginia while also working as a freelance writer and editor and as a volunteer on issues related to school wellness.
How do I work?
Students need to feel comfortable, respected and encouraged in order to learn and grow. I listen and engage, and I teach from a place of shared understanding.
What don’t I do?
- I teach grammar in context but don’t do grammar drills.
- I work with context-based vocabulary but don’t quiz students on test-driven lists.
- While the work I do will support students in test performance, SAT/ACT prep is not my focus.
- I talk with students about their goals and generally about their future, and I work with students on college application essays, but I am not a college search coach.
I am available by appointment for occasional daytime, evening and weekend tutoring.
Fall schedule will likely allow for a few evenings and weekend appointments. Daytime tutoring with homeschool or virtual learning students may be available. Please email to inquire.
Meetings can occur
- in person in Northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria City or Falls Church)
- remotely over Zoom (camera being on is strongly preferred but not required)
- by phone with both parties working in Google docs
In-person tutoring in Fairfax County is subject to higher rates.
For those who prefer asynchronous tutoring, I work with students partially through written comments and emails. Some synchronous connection is required at the outset of our collaboration to determine if this mode will work for the student.
I begin all collaborations with a no-cost conversation with the parent and, ideally, at least a brief conversation with the student.
In-person rates depend on location, ranging from $75-90/hour. Synchronous remote tutoring and asynchronous tutoring range from $45-65/hour.
Considerations are made for those with financial need.
Session fees include one follow-up email to the parent/guardian.
Follow-up conversations with parents beyond 10 minutes are billed at the same rate as synchronous tutoring.
Preparation for tutoring sessions specific to the student are billed at an asynchronous rate.
Email inquiries to haneyjessicaclaire (at) gmail (dot) com.
I can also be reached via phone at 571-358-8645.
Email is preferred for first-time inquiries.
I look forward to hearing from you!