Writing Tutoring and Support
Does your child need personalized writing support?
I am available to provide one-on-one assistance to help your high schooler or college student continue to grow as a writer.
My focus is on helping students feel comfortable with writing and with interacting with texts.
The importance for students to feel cared for and attended to was always great but increased during the COVID-19 pandemic and remains high.
My goal is to keep students engaged and growing as writers and readers. I want them to have positive associations with the written word.
Tutoring with me may include:
- Planning for writing, generating writing and revising writing
- Reviewing writing and reading assignments and planning for completion
- Supporting readers with texts and responding to texts in writing
- Development of vocabulary in context
- Development of grammar skills in context
- Support with the student’s self-guided standardized test prep, grammar work or vocabulary study
- Support with the development of college application essays (click here for complete information on college essay tutoring)
On request, I can create guided reading support and vocabulary activities derived from texts for students who need scaffolding.
I taught for 8 years at the college level and in Alexandria City Public Schools prior to starting a family. Since then, I’ve tutored for 16+ years in Northern Virginia while also working as a freelance writer and editor, substitute teaching, and volunteering on issues related to school and community wellness.
How do I work?
Students need to feel comfortable, respected and encouraged in order to learn and grow. I listen and engage, and I teach from a place of shared understanding.
What I do & don’t do
- I teach grammar in context and can help with grammar homework (i.e. No Red Ink), but I don’t do grammar drills.
- I work with context-based vocabulary and can help with vocabulary programs, but I don’t quiz students on test-driven lists.
- While the work I do will support students in test performance, SAT/ACT prep is not my focus.
- I talk with students about their goals and generally about their future, and I work with students on college application essays from brainstorming through final revision, but I am not a college search coach.
I tutor private school students during the school day during the school year. During the summer, I prioritize college essay tutoring but have some additional room. During the school year, I can work with students in the afternoon, evening, and on weekends, in person or via Zoom.
Meetings need not be at regular intervals. I can work with your schedule.
Meetings can occur
- in person in Northern Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria City or Falls Church)
- remotely over Zoom (camera being on is preferred but not required)
- by phone with both parties working in Google docs
In-person tutoring in Fairfax County, Washington, DC, or Montgomery County is subject to higher rates.
Asynchronous support is also available for established clients needing feedback on drafts in between sessions.
Have a group of high school seniors who want help with college essays?
I can lead group classes for two or more students who want help with brainstorming and guided writing or larger groups desiring peer review and collaboration with some one-on-one guidance from me.
I begin all collaborations with a no-cost conversation with the parent and, ideally, at least a brief conversation with the student.
In-person rates depend on location, ranging from $90-130/hour. Synchronous remote tutoring is discounted 10%.
Group rates are subject to size, location and needs but start at $150/hour.
Asynchronous tutoring ranges starts at $50/hour for established clients only. Higher rates apply for rushed work.
Considerations are made for those with financial need.
Session fees include one follow-up email to the parent/guardian.
Follow-up conversations with parents beyond 10 minutes are billed at the synchronous tutoring rate.
Preparation for tutoring sessions specific to the student — including review of drafts and creation of specialized materials — is billed at the asynchronous rate.
Email inquiries to haneyjessicaclaire (at) gmail (dot) com.
I can also be reached via phone at 571-451-8273.
Email is preferred for first-time inquiries.
I look forward to hearing from you!