Writing by Jessica Claire Haney
Find my regular writing on Mindful Healthy Life, the lifestyle magazine for natural-minded parents in Metro DC where I cover local news and wellness topics relevant to natural-minded parents.
A short story adapted from my novel-in-progress, The Unspeakable Passing of Clouds, appears in the 2018 collection Grace in Darkness: D.C. Metro Women Writers, vol. VIII.
Two of my essays — “(Into and) Out of the Mouths of Babes” and “From Here to There” — appear in the 2013 humorous anthology from Demeter Press, Have Milk, Will Travel: Adventures in Breastfeeding
An essay about my first child’s birth appears in the 2016 anthology Birth Writes: A Collection of Real-Life Birth Stories.
My essay “The First Time Around” appeared in From the Heart: A Collection of Stories and Poems from the Front Lines of Parenting (This essay was originally published in Mothering Heights Second Annual Mother’s Day Online Anthology, May 2008.)
For links to television appearances and other events where I have spoken, see the Appearances page.
The piece I read at the 2017 Listen to Your Mother DC was “Words to Live By.”
My essay “Yes, I Want My White Kids Challenged to Question Their Privilege” was published on the Huffington Post on September 9, 2016.
On International Survivors of Suicide Day, November 22, 2014, the website Scary Mommy published my essay, “Remembering the Uncle My Children Will Never Know.”
I published “Director of Birth Story on Mothering While Filmmaking,” an interview with director Sara Lamm, on Octotber 3, 2013 on Mothering.com.
I blog regularly at Mindful Healthy Life, the lifestyle magazine for natural-minded parents in Metro DC where I cover local news and wellness topics relevant to natural-minded parents.
My personal blog is Crunchy-Chewy Mama.
I also blogged at TheDCMoms.com.
- “NIH says remove barriers to VBAC,” Mothering Magazine, No. 160, May/June 2010
- “Classical Music for Little Fingers and Ears,“ The Washington Post, June 4, 2009
- “Freecycle: Fast, Frugal, Friendly,” The Wise Mom, Holistic Moms Network, June 2009
- “Nat Geo Gender Revolution Documentary is a Must-See,” TheDCMoms.com, February 6, 2017
- “Labor Day Rallies Call for ‘Improving Birth,'” Mothering.com, September 6, 2013
- Interview with farmer and author Forrest Pritchard: “Sustainable Farmer and Author Forrest Pritchard on Parenting,” TheDCMoms.com, May 24, 2013
- Interview with healer and author Claudia Welch: “Weekend Workshop to Show a New Way of Life for a New Year,” January 3, 2013
- “Alexandria Symphony Children’s Arts Festival Celebrates Harlem Renaissance,” Alexandria Patch, June 11, 2011
- “Birth Advocates Strategize for Decreased Maternal Mortality,” Leesburg Patch, April 11, 2011
- “Smithsonian’s Hirshorn Museum Draws Large Crowd” Mothering.com, February 22, 2011
- “National Institutes of Health Conference Calls Vaginal Birth After Cesarean a ‘Reasonable Option,’” Mothering.com, March 18, 2010
- “Conference Addresses Childbirth Practices and Reproductive Rights,” Mothering.com October 26, 2009
- “Remembering the Uncle My Children Will Never Know,” Scary Mommy, November 22, 2014.
- “(Into and) Out of the Mouths of Babes” and “From Here to There,” Have Milk, Will Travel: Adventures in Breastfeeding, Demeter Press, 2013.
- “The First Time Around,” in From the Heart: A Collection of Stories and Poems from the Front Lines of Parenting (Originally published in Mothering Heights Second Annual Mother’s Day Online Anthology, May 2008.)
- “Attemptus Interruptus,” Exhale Magazine, July 2009
- “Caring for Your Inner Child,” Journal of Attachment Parenting International, Winter 2008-09
- “My Name is … What?” Motherverse Blog: Mothering Out Loud. 7/4/2008
BLOGS and other ONLINE WRITING
- Mindful Healthy Life – mindfulhealthylife.com
- Crunchy-Chewy Mama – crunchychewymama.com
- Contributor for TheDCMoms.com and formerly for DC Metro Moms Blog
- Columnist 2009-2013 at The Washington Times Communities — Health and Science: “Ingredients for Healthy Living”
- Guest Blogger at Hartke is Online!: “Fizzy’s Lunch Lab a Little Fuzzy on Nutrition”
- “White Male,” Hip Mama #47
- “Taking it In, and Out,” Exhale Magazine, January 2009 This poem also featured in “Cesarean Voices” Exhibit sponsored by the Baltimore Chapter of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN), April-May 2010
- From the series Census 2000: Cincinnati Poems “#23a. HOW DID THIS PERSON USUALLY GET TO WORK LAST WEEK?” Beltway Poetry Quarterly — Evolving City Issue, Fall 2007
- “Invitation to My Brother,” Earth’s Daughters #68
- “Fitting Form,” Court Green 3